Non-Executive search case study:
Chairperson search for a fast growth, technology specialist manufacturer.
With an exceptional track record, outperforming equivalent AIM based peer group and other industry based competitors, the current Board and Chairman conducted a review of succession-planning, (NED-refresh) and the planned retirement of the Non-Executive Chairman.
A new Board (and Chairperson) would be facing a fresh set of challenges and opportunities in the next 5 years and would ideally come armed with experience relating to this – specifically growing from £100m to £250m+.
- A fast growth technology based specialist manufacturer – harnessing technology and precious expertise to manufacture world leading products and sub-systems.
- A unique public company (PLC) business, with 10+ globally based manufacturing sites and a track record of doubling in size every 5 years in the last decade.
- An evolving organisational structure, and clear focus on both acquisition and organic based growth.
- Experienced Chairperson with proven track record if implementing growth strategy
- Relevant Exec experience within the technology industry
- Strong financial acumen
- Sensitive leadership skills with ability to harness and augment board capabilities
- Excellent reputational standing both in exec and Non-Exec roles
- Meet investor relation expectations both short and long term
An interesting objective profile, covering international technology manufacturing (ideally higher margin) experience, public company and turnover range of c.£200m to around £2Bn+.
With some inherent flexibility around profile but the imperative need to get a successful personality/cultural fit (only enhancing a current highly successful Board) a wider search was conducted, involving:
- 79 individuals identified
- 17 interviewed
- 7 shortlisted
- 3 second interviews
- 3 exceptional individuals interviewed at final stage of which 2 had CVs exceeding specification requirements and were considered market/industry leaders with excellent city based reputations/approvals.
- Chosen candidate had not only the relevant background but also a sensitive and culturally flexible approach, winning over the whole Board as the preferred candidate and subsequently appointment as Chairman.